Intra-Company Transfers (L-1)

The L-1 Visa is used by international companies to allow executives, managers and essential employees to transfer from foreign offices to offices within the United States. Executives and managers are designated as “L-1A” status, while essential employees are “L-1B”.

How do I qualify for an L-1 Intra-Company Transfer?

The process of qualifying for an L-1 Visa requires both the company itself and the transferring immigrant to meet certain requirements. Those requirements include the following:


How long will I be able to stay in the U.S. on an L-1 Visa?

L-1A Visa holders (executives and managers) are authorized to remain in the U.S. for up to seven years. L-1B Visa holders (employees with specialized knowledge) may remain for up to five years. However, one year after the transfer, the company may petition for an employment-based Green Card (Permanent Residency) for the transferred employee.

Intra-company transfer employees of companies that are new in the U.S. may only qualify for an initial one-year period, but can extend in three two-year increments, for a total of seven years, if the company can demonstrate at the end of the first year that it continues to operate as a viable enterprise. Employees of established U.S. companies may obtain the L-1 Visa for an initial period of three years, with the opportunity to extend the status twice in two-year increments, for a total of seven years.

Can I include my spouse and children on my L-1 Visa status?

Spouses and children of L-1 Visa employees may accompany the employee to the U.S. on L-2 Visas. In addition, L-2 Visa holders may work while in the U.S.

Blanket L Visas

Companies that plan to transfer multiple employees to a U.S. entity may apply for a “Blanket” L Visa status, which allows for much simpler and speedy processing for each subsequent employee applicant. The company would initially have to demonstrate that it meets all of the company requirements explained above. However, once the company is initially approved, all subsequent transferring employees would only have to file visa applications with the U.S. Consulate office abroad and satisfy the requirements specific to the individual employee, rather than having to re-establish all of the company-specific requirements with each transfer.

L-1A Intra-company transfer cases are among the most complicated types of immigration matters. If you are considering applying for an L-1A Visa, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Call us today at (719) 633-3377, or email us, to find out why L-1A Intra-company Transfer attorney Josh Deere at Deere Law, LLC has received an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell® in Immigration Law; a Superb, 10 out of 10 rating in Immigration Law, and a “Client’s Choice” award from Avvo, a national lawyer rating service; and a Colorado Springs’ TOP ATTORNEYS award by Colorado Springs Style Magazine.