Work Permits

What most immigration clients truly want to know is “How can I get a work permit?”, and for good reason. Authorization to work in the United States allows individuals to provide for themselves and their families, and offers a sense of self-worth.

Unfortunately, however, the U.S. does not grant work permits by themselves. Work permits are generally tied to some other type of immigration status. In other words, the way to determine how you can qualify for a work permit is to determine whether you qualify for any categories of immigration benefits available from the U.S. government.

For example, immigrants who qualify for Deferred Action (D.A.C.A.) are allowed to apply for work authorization. Immigrants who apply for Permanent Residency based on a family relationship can receive a work permit while they wait for their Green Card. If you wondering whether you can qualify for work authorization in your particular situation, you should discuss your case with a qualified immigration attorney. Individuals who receive Permanent Residence (a Green Card) or citizenship no longer need to apply for a work permit. Their status as a permanent resident or citizen automatically allows them to work.

To apply for a work permit, you must submit USCIS form I-765 along with the correct supporting evidence.

The immigration attorneys at Deere Law, LLC have extensive experience helping immigrants understand and apply for work authorization in the United States. Call us today at (719) 633-3377, or email us, to find out why the immigration attorney Josh Deere at Deere Law, LLC has received an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale Hubbell® in Immigration Law; a Superb, 10 out of 10 rating in Immigration Law, and a “Client’s Choice” award from Avvo, a national lawyer rating service; and a Colorado Springs’ TOP ATTORNEYS award by Colorado Springs Style Magazine.